- WOO. It has been a long couple of weeks. At this moment, I have a French class and a band rehearsal in between me and being done with the first week of classes. My classes this year are going to be HARD, y’all. I don’t know what I was thinking when I made my schedule start at 8 AM on T-TH and not finish until 5:45. Oh, and basically only taking English/History classes??? I am going to die – but also have a lot of fun and learn important things and read a whole bunch.
- I’m all moved in!!!! It took me a little while to figure out where I wanted to hang all of my art and pictures, but I got them all up. I love living in Gibson, to be honest. The room is so much bigger than the one in Hotz and THERE IS A SINK. IN MY ROOM. I will not have to leave to make coffee all year. This is either very good or very bad for my health.
- The RMB was hashtag blessed with amazing weather during Early Week. Just enjoy this magical picture of the sunset on Tuesday, 8/16. The sky was a beautiful shade of blue I have never seen before, and I don’t think I’ll ever see again. GOD IS GOOD Y’ALL.
- My room looks out on the entrance to Brough (the University of Arkansas’s main dining hall) and Starbucks, so I will never have to enter with long line AGAIN. Or at least for this year. I am going to get the best spotted pics of my friends if I open my blinds. I’m pumped.
- I BEAT TEEN PREGNANCY. I turned 20 (THAT’S TWO DECADES) yesterday!! I haven’t really celebrated yet, because I started classes so early and didn’t get back to Gibson until 11 PM from a band performance. I had a really long birthday, but also a really good one. I think birthdays away from home are one of the hardest things about college and being so far away, but the people I’m surrounded by in Fayetteville made it so much better than expected. I LUV U GUYS!!!!!
Leah is Leah God Bless because when I met her she did not have a cell phone so it was very hard to plan our adventures. When she finally got one it was such a relief that I put her into my phone as Leah God Bless and that is who she has been ever since.
So here is how the story goes. My senior year I was going to be cymbal section leader so it was my job to teach new members of the section. Tanner Trigg (percussion extraordinaire and my percussion teacher) told me the spring of my junior year that there was going to be a freshman girl moving to Aledo and joining the cymbal line. She would come to drum club that spring to learn how to cymbal so that she could be ready for marching season. At those camps I made it my mission to not only teach her cymbals, but make her feel comfortable since she was at a new school. I was trying to learn from mistakes I had made with Mo (another cymbal baby who I sufficiently freaked out at our first meetings because I was overbearing), so with Leah I attempted to be more cool. I’m sure it didn’t come across as cool but either way she wasn’t too freaked out so we ended up spending an afternoon at Starbucks and Walmart. That’s where that picture above is from and that was where our friendship originated.
Our friendship continued from there during my senior year when we were on the cymbal line and then in the same concert band. Come to find out, we had a lot more in common than just band. We had very similar fashion views which allowed us to have killer shopping adventures.( why do we always throw peace signs?)
In addition to the style love, we share an insane love for Wild Child. We even got to see them in concert together in May. Therein lies why Leah is a babe. Even though we have known each other for little over two years and for one of those years I was six hours away, we have remained friends. We talk everyday because our snapstreak is 420 days and counting. Each time we get together we just fall back into our rhythm of being relationship goals. Basically we just go together and I’m really glad I found such a cool friend. What a babe.
***It is actually friday and i am actually the worst***
So this is Kat and Kat is my female roommate. so first off, she gets babe points for helping me add estrogen to our environment. She’s also pretty great because she goes to the farmers market with me and she goes hiking with me and she works out with me and she cooks with me and she cleans with me. So basically we are a married couple in our forties.
Kat is also a babe because she introduced me to some of my favorite shows, Buffy, Angel and Gilmore Girls. She even watches Walking Dead for me even though she doesn’t really like it which is pretty cool.
In addition to being a lovely constant companion she is really intelligent and well spoken so thats impressive. She’s also gorgeous and effortlessly rocks bold lipsticks and bangs, a feat not easily mastered. She is just so cool omg and so awesome and rn she’s reading this thinking im gross…
Love love- Abby
- It’s so crazy to me how certain music transports you back to different times. When I listen to Halsey, it makes me think of Honors WLIT2 because I listened to her album while I read for that class last fall. When I listen to Zayn’s album, I think of Jesus the Apocalyptic Prophet by Bart D. Ehrman (the book I read and wrote a paper on in a week this spring). Listening to Abby’s Lots of Various Essentials playlist makes me feel like I’m in the front seat of Glenn the Subaru Outback. Music is such a cool thing AND IT’S TIMELESS. I love it.
- In a week, I leave New Boston and head back to Fayetteville!!! I’m so excited to be back, but with being back comes responsibilities that I don’t wanna face. The day after I move in, I start all day band rehearsals for a week. The next week I have classes. I just want to be lazy forever y’all!!!
- My passion planner came in the mail this week!! I may be way too excited about it. I love the planner’s lay out, and there are so many cool features!! Hopefully, this will help me stay on top of everything I need to get done this year. I can’t wait to be using it for assignments and, well, EVERYTHING. I’m. So. Pumped!!!
- I believe that there are two things in this entire world that can instantly improve a girl’s appearance (or at least mine): painted fingernails and earrings. There’s just something about wearing even just the smallest studs in my ears that makes me FEEL 10x prettier than I was just a moment before. The same thing with freshly painted nails. Everything I do when I have new nail polish on feels so pretty and polished and nice and I LOVE IT.
- I got my hair cut on Wednesday for the first time in a year. It’s pretty short. It’s so short that I can’t put it in a ponytail (which will be a problem when it’s very very very hot during Early Week for band). I like it, but I also have no clue what to do with it. The front is having a problem finding its natural curl, which is a problem for me. But it’s okay, because I’ve never been attached to hair and I know it grows faster than you think.
Mallory: Bandana bracelets!!! Each year at UM ARMY we receive a different colored strip of bandana each day that we twist and tie into 5 different bracelets. I wore mine from summer ’15 until sometime in April, so I’m pumped to have them back on my wrists until they fall off.
Abby: I got this denim jumper (overalls?) from Old Navy and I think it is my new favorite thing. It is so comfy and easy to wear and ugh i just love it.
Mallory: I have eaten so much barbecue this month! There’s a place in town called Randy’s and they serve a dish called Ballpark Fries. It’s basically their amazing fries covered in cheese and chopped beef (or whatever meat you choose). I also ate at a place called the Country Tavern in Kilgore during UM ARMY and WHOA was it amazing. I got a giant salad with smoked turkey on top and it was super good. I can dig some good barbecue you guys.
Abby: At this very moment I am making pulled pork tacos that are gonna be delicious but recently I have been doing a lot of eating out. Kat and I tried this Mexican Place called Gabriela’s and its freakin delicious. Really good and reasonably priced.
Mallory: I love daily vlogs, but this month I have really been digging Josh Sobo‘s. The aesthetic of his vlogs is AMAZING. Everything about them is just very visually pleasing to me, so I always make sure to watch them. I’m super impressed that he’s able to make each vlog fit in the theme of the others, almost like Meghan Rienks fits every photo on her instagram to her theme.
Abby: Lin Manuel Miranda. What a talented guy.
Mallory: I just finished Yes Please by Amy Poehler. I’m really into the memoir type things that youtubers and actors have been writing the past couple of years, and Poehler’s was phenomenal. It honestly felt like she was being inspirational without trying to. She is totally honest throughout the entire book, and very candid with the reader. I definitely recommend this book to anyone who’s even vaguely interested in Amy Poehler.
Abby: Adding on to the Hamilton theme, I’m currently reading “Hamilton: The Revolution.” It is Kat’s and while she is in Disney world I am gonna use it to learn everything I can about Hamilton the musical.
Mallory: I just finished Parks and Recreation on Netflix. This show was hilarious. I fell in love with each of the characters, and was tremendously happy with the way the storyline ended. Go watch it. You’ll fall in love too.
Abby: I finally finished season 1 of Bones. It has been hard for me to get through because I really don’t like Booth but I think he’s really attractive. Plus Emily Deschanel is queen. Basically I’m determined to get through all 12 seasons, so this is probably gonna be a bit of an ordeal.
Mallory: Painting canvases for my dorm this year!! I didn’t really have a lot of decor of my own hanging up last year, so I have been Pinterest-ing the heck out of canvas ideas this summer. I finally decided exactly what I wanted to do, bought canvases and paint, and jumped right into it. I’m actually really happy with the way they are turning out, and I can not wait to hang them up on August 12!!!!
Abby: I got to go back to Texas for a few days and see all my babes which was nice. I definitely could’ve used more time with the baes and I didn’t even get to see Mo which was depressing. Oh whale. You take what you can get.