- TAYLOR SWIFT’S NEW ALBUM. reputation is here y’all, and it is GOOD. I can’t pick a favorite yet because I really and truly like all of them. I am 100 percent here for an in-love Taylor Swift. You can just hear her glowing through the songs. They are all honestly bops and if you expect me to listen to anything other than this album for at least the next month, you are wrong.
- I am so glad that I get to live with Amber Jones. She is beauty and grace and way super fun. I know that I wouldn’t get to know her this way if I wasn’t living with her and that would be one of the biggest tragedies in my life. Thanks for being a true friend Amber.
- I have a French test later today that I actually feel semi-prepared for?? When we went over the practice exams in class on Wednesday I had actually performed pretty well, which was a strange feeling. I still have to study some more, but I feel like I might do better than I normally do on this exam.
- Tau Beta Sigma’s Founder’s Day ceremony was last night, and it was a true blast. I am so honored to get to be a part of this organization and it was so cool to have guests come and learn about and celebrate it with us. Every day my sisters do something else to make me appreciate and love them more. A true blast.
- I’m going to my first chicken finger Friday later with the platonic love of my life Carol Turner. I am very excited about this. I love chicken. I love Carol. What else could I ask for? (nothing)
Mallory: my tennis shoes and my dinkles cause it’s been a month chock full of band
Abby: My new Tau Beta Sigma hat because then I don’t have to do my hair
Mallory: Tyson Anytizer Chicken Fries and ranch while also drinking Red Diamond Sweet Tea. I’m honestly living 10 year old Mallory’s food dream.
Abby: I’ve really committed to this frozen meal thing. I think October will be a month of cooking again.
Mallory: Megan Beard – somehow we managed to get up and go to church together every single Sunday this month. God bless Megan for keeping me accountable – I don’t know what I would do without her
Abby: Amber Jones is a pretty great chick. Glad she’s a person in my life.
Mallory: I don’t really have time to read for fun. Like at all. BUT I have started the Alexander Hamilton biography that the Broadway musical is based on. It’s slow going. But I am enjoying it.
Abby: articles about bite force and its relation to skull shape
Mallory: I recently discovered Neck Deep. Y’all. I really like their music. I highly recommend In Bloom and 19 Seventy Sumthin’ from their newest album, The Peace and The Panic. Also that entire album. It’s all really good.
Abby: I’ve been really feeling Fools this month
Mallory: Not writing for this blog, that’s for sure. But I think I’m going to resume The Friday Five this week. So stay tuned for that – or don’t.
Abby: Trying to get through this semester. So stay tuned for that – or don’t.
um so I forgot about the fact that yesterday was Friday and didn’t write my weekly post and I’ve written one post per week since the first week of the year so this is me making up for being late
- Over the past two days I binged the entire first season of Riverdale because it hit Netflix and I have Fridays and Saturdays off. I loved it. 10/10. Also I really didn’t realize that it would make me fall absolutely in love with Cole Sprouse again. But I have.
- The other day I put a random episode of Grey’s Anatomy on the tv for background noise as I scrolled on my phone/laptop. I didn’t realize what episode it was until halfway through and that was when I realized what a mistake I had made. Ten minutes later I was in tears.
- So I moved into the house I’m living in for the summer on Tuesday and I have my mom’s car. I literally have never had this much freedom in my life. I don’t have to depend on anyone to take me anywhere. I can go get a milkshake from Sonic at 11 PM if I so please.
- Speaking of driving places I so please – I’ve been living here and driving places since Wednesday and I’ve actually gotten places without a map like five times. That’s super cool. I can navigate guys. On my own. WOW.
- I realized when unpacking my clothes that I only wear t-shirts in shades of blue, gray, green, and purple. I have a few red ones because woo pig, but why do I only wear the same colors. Do they actually make my eyes look better like I think?? Why do the organizations I’m a part of only make t-shirts in those colors??
- GUYS. I am in Houston, driving, because I have started my internship at Lakewood UMC. I’ve only worked two days, but it’s already been so fun. I am so excited about this summer. Stay tuned for more updates. Maybe. Who knows.
- I am officially moved out of da Gib!!! I am home in New Boston for the weekend, and then it’s off to Houston for the summer. I am so pumped about the things ahead of me in the near future, but it’s always bittersweet to leave Fayetteville and all my friends for the summer. The way finals week works, you don’t really know when you are seeing someone for the last time for a few months so you don’t really know when to say goodbye. Which is really weird.
- God bless my French professor Cecile. I somehow managed to get an 83% on my French final – this is the highest score I’ve ever made on a French exam. I honestly didn’t pass a test last semester, so to go from that to a B on the final is an amazing feeling. I honestly owe it all to her fantastic teaching. 10/10 would recommend.
- The soundtrack of finals week was Carrie & Lowell Live by Sufjan Stevens. It’s honestly all I listened to this week because of 1. how soothing it is and 2. how GOOD it is. I have a newfound love for Sufjan so that’s really exciting.
- I realized that I have to find a new place to get matcha while I’m in Houston. I’m honestly really nervous about this because of the bad experience Abby and I had in Nashville during spring break (the matcha latte somehow tasted like play dough). I will keep you updated to see if I am successful.
- I am sad because a lot of very important people in my life graduated today or are graduating tomorrow. I am so proud of them and excited to see what they do as they take the next steps in their lives, but I will miss them all so incredibly. It’s weird to be at the point in my life that people are leaving and getting real adult jobs or going to graduate school. I wish them all the happiness in the world!!!!
- This week was a week full of no sleep because I had so many tests and assignments to do, and next week is finals week. I definitely was up so late sometimes that I couldn’t speak coherently. I think it might have paid off, but there is no way to know for sure yet.
- TBS/KKY formal was last night, and Abby and I won the “Best Duo” award. So basically the members of TBS think that we spend too much time together and are cute when we talk to each other during chapter.
- Earlier this semester I asked Carter to be my honorary big brother, and he keeps excluding me from pictures he takes with his family. I FINALLY MADE IT IN ONE!!! (We practice tough love, but I promise we do love each other. I think.)
- This is Becca and her family loving each other. I was honestly really upset I wasn’t close enough to her to kiss her on the cheek too, so I didn’t really know what to do with my face.
- I am known within TBS and all of the friend groups that I am a part of for the amount of tears I shed and the way that I look when I cry. Last night, I spoke on behalf of my honorary big, Natalie, because she is graduating and I am going to miss her so so much, and this picture was captured of some tears. -Mallory
P.S. SHOUT OUT TO WENDY STEWART, TBS’S HISTORIAN, FOR TAKING ALL OF THESE GORGEOUS PICTURES!!!
- I AM HAVING TROUBLE SLEEPING AND TROUBLE WAKING UP. It is a problem. I keep being very tired and going to bed at a reasonable time, but then laying there I get super anxious for no reason and can’t fall asleep. And then, because I haven’t slept enough at night, when my alarm rings the next morning I turn it off and then accidentally sleep an extra hour and don’t have enough time for coffee or anything that I typically do in the morning.
- I am so ready for finals to be over. I only have one more week of real classes left. I can make it. Maybe. I have so many assignments due and tests and also I need to pack to move out of the dorm and I also have friends I want to hang out with?????????
- The weather has been so darn gross this week. I need to stop raining and be warm outside. It’s spring and I want it to feel like spring. (Honestly the only plus side of this is that the spring game that the band typically has to play at has been closed to the public so I don’t have to do that tomorrow anymore which is exciting cause that mean I have more time to do homework!!!!)
- So my love language is physical touch. And when I get into new friendships, I have trouble establishing lines. Like at what point can I hug you. When can I scratch your back. This is a problem for me because I love new people and making new friends and I do it a lot and then I don’t know the lines that are drawn and then I don’t know what to do???????
- I haven’t gone to Savoy in so long and I am very sad about it. Hopefully I’m gunna go later today and then I can get my caffeine fix from a matcha. But tea is a very important in my life and my consumption of tea has been lacking.
- This week I got a paper turned in two days early. I don’t know what made me be that productive early on in the week, but it happened. It felt reeeaaal weird to be on top of assignments instead of overwhelmed, but that didn’t last very long because I have a couple other papers due next week, plus tests the next week. The end of the semester is near and I am not mentally prepared.
- I am really upset that it’s rainy and gross outside tomorrow. I was supposed to go hiking with some friends because it’s Earth Day, but it looks like we’ll just be studying all day. Which is more productive than hiking, but way less fun.
- It’s officially spring, so I’ve broken out the blue nail polish. Although I was way lazy by the time it got to painting my toenails, so they look not good. I can clean it up later or something, right??
- I have been a little sick all week, which has not been fun. I felt so bad Tuesday morning that I slept through my favorite class this semester. I feel like, better, but I still have a cough??? I am sad about this. I hate not being in top notch health.
- GUYS. I am the Psi chapter of Tau Beta Sigma’s 2017/2018 Vice President of Membership Education. I am so so so excited to serve my chapter in this way. I have wanted to run for this position since before I was fully initiated, so I am beyond excited. I feel so honored to have been voted into this position, and I am exponentially grateful. It’s so awesome to be a part of such a supportive organization.
I’m a day late. I know I suck as a person but I was in a very unproductive funk yesterday. I’m striving to be better today. Which means I’m writing this post to procrastinate actual school work. Go figure.
- I hate whoever created and designed Exel. It is probably the worst program I have ever tried to work with. Also, I could just be an idiot. I have never felt stupider than when I was trying to get work done for using Exel for my Geology lab. So maybe the problem isn’t Exel, it’s just me??
- I spent an hour this week curating playlists on my Spotify. Like, I made five new playlists just so I never have to listen to anything but the music I want to again. I am a gross human being. I don’t even pay for Spotify??? There’s something wrong with me.
- There are typically 14 people in my Elementary French II class, but yesterday only 5 of us showed up. I know it’s Easter weekend, and people went home and stuff, but seriously guys??? French is fun. Plus we got our tests back and guess who made a B??? ME. That’s the highest grade I’ve ever made on a French exam. I am so proud of myself.
- This week makes two in a row that I watched the entirety of a show that’s on Netflix. To be fair, they’re both shows that only have one season up, but that’s still a lot of binge time I could have been productive. Last week, I was HOOKED on 13 Reasons Why (which is insanely good) and this week I needed something happy, so I watched Life In Pieces. 10/10 would recommend.
- Speaking of “10/10 would recommend,” I want to know what you think that means. I feel like there is a dichotomy to it. Because it could mean that 10 out of 10 people would recommend it, but it could also mean I am rating it on a scale out of 10 and I personally would recommend it. This is something I’ve been contemplating all week. Just fun facts.
- TOMORROW I GET TO GET BACK ON SOCIAL MEDIA. It’s been 40 days since I’ve tweeted. 40 days since I posted a boomerang on Instagram. I am so excited, but I also feel like this social media fast has been really good for me. I’ve focused more on myself, which is really cool. But at the same time, I think it was kinda bad for me?? Being disconnected from social media made me feel very disconnected from my friends which wasn’t really good for my mental health. So like – it was good but it wasn’t??? Like, I don’t think I could do it again. But it was okay while it lasted?
- Do y’all think there’s a science behind when we get songs stuck in our head? I get so confused because I will wake up with a song I haven’t listened to in days repeatedly running through my mind – like Tuesday I woke up with “Shiny” from Moana stuck in my head and I haven’t actually listened to that song since last Saturday. Wut to hek man?????
- What is Ed Sheeran going to name his fifth album?? Obviously the fourth one will be “Subtract” because that’s the only basic match symbol left, but where does he go from there?? Does it mean that he won’t write anymore albums after the fourth one?? I don’t think I’m okay with there only being four Ed Sheeran albums. I also don’t think that he actually cares what I’m okay with, but oh well.
- Have you ever thought about how the “i before e except after c” rule is bull crap?? Do you know how many words break this rule??? Probably just as many as the ones that follow it. Teaching children this rule needs to stop – it leads to misspelling “weird” for the rest of their lives.
- Why is waking up on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday so much harder for me than it is on Tuesday and Thursday??? My alarm is set for the same time everyday, but when it rings on MWF I turn it off and then sleep for another hour – at least that’s been what happens the last two weeks. I still get to class on time, but I don’t have time to make coffee or social media scroll and that’s really sad.
- How did the adaptation of 13 Reasons Why somehow make it better than the book?? I was worried that it would ruin a really good thing, but all of the changes made to make it better for TV are good changes. I’ve read this book like 20 times, so I obviously really enjoy it and Netflix did a great job with the series. The cast is gold, the music is all bops, and watching it is genuinely entertaining. I highly recommend reading the book, and then binging the series.
- Apparently, today the blog is a year old. That’s crazy. But also makes sense. I can’t believe I’ve been writing my rambling thoughts and publishing them to the interwebs in blog form for a year. I can’t believe sometimes people other than my parents actually read what Abby and I write. And that’s been going on for a year? Wowie.
- OOF. This week has been a high-anxiety week tbh. Coming back from spring break and fun and no school work is hard when you come back to a week with a test and a paper and quizzes and homework and a book to read. That being said, I’m forever grateful for the people in my life who work to make sure I’m doing fine when they know I’m going through a rough time (@ Garret Gardenhire @ Andy Torres @ Abby Patty @ everyone who loves me).
- My appetite has been fluctuating again which means on Tuesday I ate 3 bites of pizza, some dry cereal, banana bread, and french fries. I’m just not hungry sometimes, which sucks because I love food. It also sucks because I think I lost a little weight over spring break because my favorite jeans are too big?? I don’t like it.
- The book we read for my English class this week was Season of Migration to the North by Tayeb Salih and IT WAS SO GOOD. Like so good I made a sticky note on my laptop dedicated to quotes from it. One of the those quotes that stood out to me reads “The darkness was thick, deep, and basic – not a condition in which light was merely absent; the darkness was now constant, as though light had never existed and the stars in the sky were nothing but rents in an old and tattered garment.” IT IS JUST SUCH A BEAUTIFUL DESCRIPTION OF THE NIGHT OKAY.
- (hey if you’re a person – boy or girl – and you feel like you might be leading someone on even if it is accidental maybe don’t do it because it really sucks to be led on and you don’t want the person you’re leading on to get mad at you or be hurt by it just be careful with other people’s feelings okay that concludes mallory’s short segment on relationship advice)